Former world champion thinks Michael Conlan is facing retirement after defeat to Jordan Gill
Andy Lee believes that Michael Conlan’s career may have come to an end.
Conlan fought on Saturday night in Belfast against British challenger Jordan Gill.
The Irishman had spent time with new trainer Pedro Diaz in Miami as he looked to improve his game in the hope of landing another world title defeat, after previously falling short first against Leigh Wood, and then Luis Alberto Luiz.
At 32, Conlan would have been young enough to continue building his career had he impressed against Gill, but he is also old enough to call into question whether he should continue.
Indeed, speaking on X, formerly known as Twitter, Conlan said he would now take time away, and his promoter, Eddie Hearn, questioned whether he would want to continue in the sport after another stoppage.
Lee suggested it would be the last time he was seen in the ring.
"From an Irish point of view, it's a sad moment and sad to see one of the great campaigners of Irish boxing probably finish his career like this,” he said on BBC Radio 5 Live, reported Sportsjoe.ie.
"Let's not forget all he has done for the sport in Ireland, two time Olympian, Olympic medallist and world amateur champion and a two time world title challenger."