The main event to the opening of Matchroom Boxing's Fight Camp 2 was supposed to pit Conor Benn against Adrian Granados. However, Benn testing positive for COVID-19 paved the way for Xu Can and Leigh Wood to elevate from the co-main event to the headliner.
Can will look to defend his WBA (Regular) featherweight championship for the third consecutive time when he clashes with Wood at the Matchroom HQ in Brentwood, Essex, and live and exclusively on DAZN.
The Chinese world champion last defeated Manny Robles III via unanimous decision in November 2019.
On the other hand, Wood was able to rebound from a majority decision loss to Jazza Dickens in February 2020 by delivering a ninth-round TKO of Reece Mould in February.
Will Can dominate his way toward another title defense, or will Wood become a world champion and open up a plethora of new avenues of opportunity that awaits?
DAZN has been tracking all the big news ahead of Can-Wood at Fight Camp 2, and our coverage can be found here.
Fight Camp 2: Can vs. Wood coverage
- Can and Wood make weight for featherweight world championship fight
- Wood vows to deliver convincing victory over Can
- Wood could prove world championship level, according to Eddie Hearn
- Dave Coldwell outlines how Wood can pull off upset against Can
- Eddie Hearn explains why Granados turned down replacement opponent
- History of the Lonsdale Belt, as Chris Billam-Smith, Tommy McCarthy vie for prestigious British title
Can vs. Wood weights
Challenger Wood registered 125 pounds and 5 ounces on the scale, before the champ came in at 125 pounds and 3 ounces during Friday's weigh-in.
Can vs. Wood odds
BetMGM has the champion Can as a -350 favorite, which means a $350 bet would land you $100 if he pulls off a successful title defense. Wood is the underdog at +250, which signals that a $100 bet would net you $250 if the British fighter produces an upset.
When is Can vs. Wood? Date, start time
- Date : Saturday, July 31
- Time : 2 p.m. ET/7 p.m. BST
- Main event (approx) : 5 p.m. ET/10 p.m. BST
The Fight Camp 2 card launches at 2 p.m. ET/7 p.m. BST, before the headliners, Wood and Can, make their ring walks at approximately 5 p.m. ET/10 p.m. BST for their world championship bout.
What channel/stream is Can vs. Wood?
The Fight Camp 2: Can vs. Wood card can be live streamed exclusively on DAZN.
Where is the Can vs. Wood fight?
The Can vs. Wood card as well as the next two Fight Camp cards Aug. 7 and Aug. 14 will all take place at the Matchroom HQ in Brentwood, Essex in England. This will mark the first time that Can fights in England. Wood has fought all of his fights in England but has never boxed at this particular venue.
Xu Can record and Bio
- Nationality : Chinese
- Born : March 9, 1994
- Height : 5-9
- Reach : 69 inches
- Total fights : 20
- Record : 18-2 with 3 Knockouts
Leigh Wood record and Bio
- Nationality: British
- Born: Aug. 1, 1988
- Height : Unlisted
- Reach : Unlisted
- Total fights : 26
- Record : 24-2 with 14 Knockouts
Xu Can vs. Leigh Wood fight card
- Xu Can vs. Leigh Wood for Can's WBA (Regular) Featherweight title
- Tommy McCarthy vs. Chris Billam-Smith for McCarthy's European, Billam-Smith's Commonwealth/ Vacant British Cruiserweight Titles
- Anthony Fowler vs. Rico Mueller for Fowler's WBA International Super Welterweight title
- Avni Yildrim vs. Jack Cullen; Super Middleweight
- Sandy Ryan vs. TBA; Women's Junior Welterweight
- Campbell Hatton vs. TBA; Lightweight