Eddie Hearn says Gennadiy Golovkin (40-1-1, 35 KOs) should remain on course to complete the trilogy with Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (53-1-2, 36 KOs) on Cinco de Mayo 2021, if he gets past his mandatory challenger later this year.
Canelo-Golovkin III had been hoped for September 2020, around Mexican Independence Day. However, promoters are still unable to stage cards with anywhere near a full capacity crowd due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Alvarez, who won their second showdown via majority decision after a draw in the first meeting, hasn't fought since stopping Sergey Kovalev in the 11th round last November.
However, Hearn, whose Matchroom camp linked up with Golovkin's GGG Promotions just over a year ago, told DAZN that the Kazakh star will likely have to compete once before May.
"Triple G has a contract with Kamil Szeremeta, his mandatory, for around November time," said Hearn.
"He must take care of that this year, and then hopefully challenge Canelo again at Cinco de Mayo next year when the world returns to normality."
Mexico's Alvarez and his team had hoped to keep that Sept. 12 date for a fight against somebody else when the Golovkin trilogy was placed on the backburner, but nothing could be finalized, and several names continue to be discussed as possibilities for later in the year.
The WBC ordered a fight for the vacant WBC super-middleweight crown between Alvarez and Avni Yildirim, but Hearn sees things going differently.
"You’ve got a situation with the WBC where Canelo has been ordered to fight Yildirim, but Callum Smith is on that list as well," he explained. "I don’t believe Canelo will fight Yildirim, so perhaps Callum vs. Yildirim for the WBC title is an option as well."