Anthony Joshua is reportedly preparing to take £15 million in step-aside money to facilitate an undisputed world heavyweight clash between Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk.
The Telegraph claimed that the former heavyweight champion will forgo a rematch with the Ukrainian, who now holds the IBF, WBA and WBO belts following his win in September 2021.
A rematch had been pencilled in for April but with changes expected in Joshua’s training camp there may not be enough time left to schedule the fight, and he could earn £15m by looking elsewhere in the short term.
- Ryan Garcia challenges Gervonta Davis for December fight
- Gervonta Davis taking 'training wheels' off could spell bigger fights sooner than expected
- Rolly Romero: 'If I was in the ring that night that he fought Isaac Cruz, Gervonta Davis would have been knocked out cold'
- David Benavidez cannot get 'over aggressive' against Canelo Alvarez claims Junior Younan
Fury meanwhile has yet to finalise his WBC interim challenge with Dillian Whyte with a purse bid scheduled for Wednesday, but the governing body have previously been willing to make their mandatory challenger wait.
Eddie Hearn did not give away any information, but told Sky Sports that the former champion is now considering his next moves.
Eddie Hearn told Sky Sports: "I'm meeting with AJ and 258 management [on Tuesday] to go through plans for his next fight.
"We have a number of proposals and options to discuss."The goal remains the same of course - to re-capture the world heavyweight crown."
Usyk's promoter Alexander Krassyuk said he was also unclear of the details.
"We are in talks regarding Fury fight since November," Krassyuk told Sky Sports.
"And though AJ gave his consent (according to Telegraph) we still have not reached the final point in negotiations. And unless we get it - AJ rematch remains the basic option for us."