DAZN News

Ryan Garcia vs. Luke Campbell rescheduled for January 2, 2021

garcia-campbell-jan-2-ftr

Live boxing begins 2021 with a bang when Ryan Garcia and Luke Campbell main event a card on January 2, airing live exclusively on DAZN.

Garcia (20-0, 17 KOs) and Campbell (20-3, 16 KOs) were originally set to do battle on Dec. 5, but the British former London 2012 Olympian was forced to withdraw from that date after testing positive for COVID-19.

All parties involved were determined to get the bout for the interim WBC lightweight title back on as soon as possible, and it will now be the perfect way for fight fans to start the new year in style. The event will be streamed on DAZN in more than 200 countries and territories, including the U.S., Mexico and the U.K.

The original card would have taken place at the Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, California, though a venue and undercard for the Jan. 2 reschedule will be announced in due course.

“With this new year, a new era for Golden Boy begins, and we can’t wait to unleash our international stable of prospects, contenders and world champions,” said Oscar De La Hoya, Chairman and CEO of Golden Boy. “And what better way to start this new chapter than with boxing’s newest crossover star? Despite being just 22 years old, Ryan Garcia has already built a huge fan base, and once he gets past Luke Campbell, the sky is the limit.

“2021 will be a tremendous year for our company, and we can’t wait for our stable of more than 70 fighters — including nine world champions and 13 regional titleholders — to play a significant role in transforming the boxing landscape.”

Garcia's last outing was a 1:20 wipeout of Fransisco Fonseca in February, and "Flash" has halted his last four opponents in succession.

“My mindset going into this fight hasn’t changed, and my training hasn’t stopped,” said Garcia following confirmation of the new date.

“I’m excited we have a new date and can finally bring this to the fans. I’m here, and I’m ready to ring in the new year with a victory ... let’s go!”

Campbell, meanwhile, has been out of action since Aug. 31, 2019, when he was outpointed by then-WBA, WBO and The Ring lightweight kingpin Vasiliy Lomachenko in a bout that also decided the vacant WBC strap.

“New date, new year, same result,” said Campbell. “I’m fully back in training and have never felt better. What a way to start 2021 this is going to be with a clinical Luke Campbell win.”

The WBC title belt is now in the hands of the unbeaten Devin Haney, after Lomachenko was moved to the position of "Franchise" champion by the WBC before he then lost his titles to Teofimo Lopez last month.

The winner of Garcia-Campbell could set up a fight vs. Haney later in 2021 in a meeting of the interim and "full" WBC lightweight titleholders.

Latest News