Tyson Fury’s promoter Frank Warren believes there is little chance of staging the trilogy fight with Deontay Wilder this year.
Fury and Wilder were expected to meet on Dec. 19, but Bob Arum has suggested that a fight for that date would not be possible, and a new date is in the works.
Warren said that the current belt holder would like to make the fight this year, and has been preparing seriously in anticipation.
"He wants to fight for obvious reasons, he's been training hard as a lot of fighters have,” Warren told BT Sport.
"It's not just about the money with him, it's about getting back out there.
"I think it's getting to him a bit as it is a lot of fighters. It's well documented the problems he had getting back and boxing has been his saviour.
Current:— Boxing on BT Sport 🥊 (@BTSportBoxing) September 30, 2020
Lineal champion 🏆
WBC champion 🏆
Ring champion 🏆
WBA champion 🏆
IBF champion 🏆
WBO champion 🏆
IBO champion 🏆
European champion 🏆
Commonwealth champion 🏆
British champion 🏆
English champion 🏆
Irish champion 🏆
Never lost inside the ring @Tyson_Fury 👑 pic.twitter.com/Lj6IDorwxg
"We have got to keep him focussed that he can fight, he wants to fight.”
Warren suggested that even if the Wilder fight is cancelled for 2020, another opponent might be found.
"If we can't get the Wilder fight, we have got to look at something else, work between us and work with everyone concerned.”
After almost three years away from competitive boxing due to substance abuse and mental health problems, Fury returned to action, and in his third fight back had his famous draw with Wilder. That led to the rematch earlier this year and Fury's victory. Wilder promptly agreed to a third fight for the WBC championship.
With the importance of boxing to Fury’s mindset, Warren explained "At the end of the day all I care about is Tyson, that his wellfare and wellbeing is being catered for.
"So somehow we got to get him out, get our thinking caps on and get our hands in someone's pockets and get it on.
"He's the best he's ever looked, and more importantly he is on it mentally, and I don't want him to lose that edge.
📱 Tyson Fury asked if he's spoken to Deontay Wilder about the trilogy fight: "I've not heard a thing. He took a FaceTime from me in March [after the rematch]. I called him a bit of a big dosser and then he didn't answer the phone to me ever again." [@talkSPORT]— Michael Benson (@MichaelBensonn) October 1, 2020
“And I don't want him to get despondent about it, so we all got to work together to make sure something happens.
"Some time next week we will work it out, say 'right these are the options, what do you want to do', and it's going to be his decision.
"He's the champion and he is the driving seat. Next week we will see what we got."
A delay in the fight between Wilder and Fury may have implications for the proposed fight with Anthony Joshua, pencilled in for 2021.
Joshua is expected to meet mandatory IBF challenger Kubrat Pulev in December this year, and had been expected to possibly vacate his WBO belt instead of fighting Oleksandr Usyk, in order to make the Fury fight happen.
Any rescheduling might give Joshua a window to retain his belt in order to stage a true unification event with Fury.