Who is Jermell Charlo? Background, record, championships, biggest wins of Canelo Alvarez's next opponent
Jermell Charlo is stepping up two weight classes as he takes on undisputed super middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez.
The fight is shown live on DAZN (in the UK and Ireland), and sees the undisputed light middleweight champion take the chance to secure glory with a huge upset win.
Charlo made his name at 154lbs and he has shown grit and determination to get there, overcoming defeat and controversy.
DAZN takes a look at the career of Charlo ahead of this career defining fight.
What is Jermell Charlo record?
Jermell Charlo boasts a 35-1-1 professional record with 19 of those wins coming by way of knockout.
Jermell Charlo became the WBC Continental Americas lightweight championship when he beat Harry Joe Yorgey by knockout in January 2013, and in June that year he beat Demetrius Hopkins with another knockout, claiming the IBF-USBA light middleweight strap.
From 2016 to 2022 he collected each of the four major light middleweight belts to become undsiputed champion at 154lbs.
Charlo avenges Harrison defeat; December 21, 2019
Charlo has suffered just one defeat in his career, against Tony Harrison. Charlo was defending his WBC light middleweight champin, and in an upset, Harrison won by unanimous decision on December 22, 2018.
Charlo exercised his rematch clause and set up a second fight at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Paradise, Nevada. Jorge Cota stepped in when Harrison had to pull out, and Charlo got back to winning ways. The second fight was reorganised for December 21 in 2019, with Charlo securing a knockout victory at the Toyota Center in Ontario, California.
Charlo becomes undisputed; May 14, 2022
Holding the WBC, IBF and IBA straps, Charlo took on the WBO light middleweight champion Brian Castano on July 17, 2021 in Texas. The judges ruled it a split draw, with many people thinking that Castano was unable to come out without all four belts.
The following year, Castano and Charlo ran it back, but this time judges were not needed. Charlo knocked Castano down twice in the 10th, and the referee stepped in to wave the fight away.
When is the Canelo Alvarez vs. Charlo fight? Date, start time
- Date : Saturday, September 30
- Time : 9 p.m. ET / 2 a.m. UK
- Main event ringwalks (approx): 11 p.m. ET / 4 a.m. UK
The broadcast is set to start at 9 p.m. ET / 2 a.m. UK, with the main event expected at around 11 p.m. ET / 4 a.m. UK. However the time of the Canelo vs. Charlo fight may change depending on the length of the fights on the undercard.
What channel/stream is Canelo Alvarez vs. Charlo?
- U.S.: Showtime PPV
- UK & Ireland: DAZN
The fight will be shown on PPV on Showtime. DAZN will show the fight in the UK and Ireland.
Where is the Canelo Alvarez vs. Charlo fight being held?
The fight is set to be staged at T Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada.
Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez record and bio
- Nationality: Mexican
- Date of birth: July 18, 1990
- Height: 5' 8"
- Reach: 70.5"
- Total fights: 63
- Record: 59-2-2 (39 KOs)
Jermell Charlo record and bio
- Nationality: American
- Date of birth: May 19, 1990
- Height: 6' 0"
- Reach: 73"
- Total fights: 37
- Record: 35-1-1 (19 KOs)
Canelo Alvarez vs. Charlo fight card
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Jermell Charlo; For Alvarez’s WBC, WBO, WBA and IBF super middleweight titles
- Jesus Ramos Jr. vs. Erickson Lubin; Light middleweight
- Yordenis Ugas vs. Mario Barrios; For the vacant WBC interim welterweight title
- Elijah Garcia vs. Armando Resendiz; Middleweight
- Frank Sanchez vs. Scott Alexander; Heavyweight
- Gabriel Valenzuela vs. Yeis Gabriel Solano; Super lightweight
- Terrell Gausha vs. KeAndre Leatherwood; Middleweight
- Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs. Isaac Rodrigues; Light heavyweight
- Curmel Moton vs. Ezequiel Flores; Super featherweight
- Justin Viloria vs. Angel Barrera; Super featherweight
- Bek Nurmaganbet vs. Abimbola Osundairo; Super middleweight
- Abilkhan Amankul vs. Joeshon James; Middleweight