Yordenis Ugas has hit out at perceived disrespect from the WBA despite his recent win over Manny Pacquiao.
The Cuban-born American defeated the Filipino legend in a huge upset in August this year in Las Vegas. The win settled any world/super dispute between the two after months of acrimony.
Ugas has been told by the WBA to enter an eliminator to decide the outright WBA welterweight belt holder. Jamal James will defend his WBA world title against Radzhab Butaev on October 30.
- JoJo Diaz feels Devin Haney has a chip on his shoulder and has mental advantage going into title fight
- Teofimo Lopez' stunning loss to George Kambosos Jr. has put Devin Haney and Gervonta Davis on notice
- Devin Haney on Teofimo Lopez: 'I don't like him, he's a f—ing cornball'
- Amir Khan vs. Kell Brook: Is late really better than never?
Ugas is in turn due to fight Lithuanian challenger Eimantas Staniosis, which prevents him from pursuing any unification plans, with Errol Spence the IBF and WBC champion.
On social media, Ugas complained at the requirements placed upon him, saying: “It is disrespectful for the WBA to have a tournament to define their champion, when I am the super champion.
“I just beat a legend and I have a victory over regular champion Jamal James. WBA mandatory fights are always to fight for the regular title. I fought Abel and got promoted when Pacquiao was out of the sport. I have three questions for the WBA:
- With everything and the reduction of the title that the WBA has, what super champion has a mandatory fight imposed? Even though he's on his way to a three-championship unification.
- Which super champion in history has had a mandatory fight for the WBA super champion title?”
It is disrespectful that the @GilberticoWBA has a tournament to define its champ,when Im the super champ,that I had my first defense with Pacquiao and I have a victory over the regular champ James.Of the 14 WBA super champ none have a mandatory fight.Why me?? if I want to unify. pic.twitter.com/Dp5NT74p40— Yordenis Ugas (@YordenisUgas) October 18, 2021
The veteran complained that the obligation to meet Stanionis prevents him from taking on fighters he believes are closer to his level.
“I respect all the fighters. But what has [Stanionis] done in  fights of which 4 have been with fighters with more losses than won and only 4 years of career?” Ugas asked.
“[H]is biggest victory was… against Dulorme that I [beat] 5 years ago, to have a shot at the WBA super champion title and ruin a unification fight?
“The dream of every fighter is to be a champion, then to unify and that is my intention that I think I have earned. I am excited to be the first Cuban fighter to fight three championships in one night. My team and I will reach the last consequences for our right. #SpenceUgas—a three-championship fight between two of the world's best welterweights is what fans want to see.”