Joanna Jedrzejczyk exits hospital without significant injuries following brutal fight at UFC 248

2 min read
Joanna-Jedrzejczyk-030820-GETTY-FTR (Getty Images)

In the co-main event of UFC 248, Zhang Weili and Joanna Jedrzejczyk put on the greatest women's fight of all time, with Zhang coming out on top with a narrow split-decision victory to retain the women's strawweight title. 

When the dust settled, Jedrzejczyk had signifcant swelling on her forehead, as she had battled through a massive hematoma that developed in the early stages of the fight.

After the fight, Jedrzejczyk was immediately rushed to the hospital to get checked out to see if there were any other injuries beyond what happened to her forehead. Early Sunday, ESPN reported that Jedrzejczyk was released from the hospital without any serious injuries. 

Zhang and Jedrzejczyk combined to land 351 significant strikes, which was the third-highest total in UFC history. By herself, Jedrzejczyk connected on 186 significant strikes, the most in UFC history for a fighter who came up on the short end of the stick.

Jedrzejczyk (16-4) made no excuses in defeat and was proud of the back and forth battle that ensued with herself and Zhang. The former 115-pound champion felt the increased swelling starting from the halfway point of the fight until the final bell sounded, but it didn't deter her from going out there and leaving it all inside the Octagon in an attempt to regain her belt.

"You see my [swelling], I felt this, you know, she did great," Jedrzejczk said in her post-fight interview. "There was something missing, but I felt all the punches, from the third round the [swelling] was bothering me, and I felt it just getting more and more swollen, and my head was, like, going on and off. 

"Thank you guys for coming and supporting me," Jedrzejczyk continued. "I will see you soon... It doesn't matter. I carry myself as a champ, with the belt or without, I was there. Very proud of her, congrats Weili."

Latest News