DAZN News

UFC postpones next three events, but Dana White insists Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson will happen

2 min read
dana-white-3142020-getty-ftr Getty Images

Dana White took it to the limit by making sure his "UFC Fight Night" took place this past Saturday night in Brazil amidst the coronavirus outbreak.

But the UFC president isn't going to push it during the global pandemic anymore — at least for the immediate future. White appeared on ESPN's "SportsCenter" on Monday and announced that the UFC is postponing its next three events, but that he vows that Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson will happen on April 18. Where? White doesn't know just yet, but did say that it's "probably not even going to be in the United States, but this fight is going to happen."

While it remains to be seen if White can somehow ensure that Nurmagomedov vs. Ferguson takes place next month, the "UFC FIght Night" that was supposed to pit Tyron Woodley vs. Leon Edwards on Saturday night is the first of three events being canceled. Edwards had already pulled out of the card due to coronavirus concerns. Colby Covington had wanted to take his place, but now we know it's being scrapped, altogether. A disappointed Woodley took to his Instagram account upon hearing the news.

"I'm shattered by this!" Woodley wrote. "I texted @danawhite and told him I'm in for Burns sat (Sat ONLY). I then was told the card was off. We will make it through this together. Don't take it lightly. When we are back and running its me and Clout Chasing Covington. Don't want to hear another name! #TalkIsOver Thanks all my supporters."

The second of the three events being scratched is the "UFC on ESPN 8" card that was supposed to pit Francis Ngannou against Jairzinho Rozenstruik at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas on March 28. The third card canceled in today's announcement is "UFC Fight Night 172," which was supposed to have Alistair Overeem fight Walt Harris at the UFC Apex on April 11. 

Latest News