DAZN News

Daniel Dubois vs. Joe Joyce in doubt again due to potential attendance restrictions

dubois-joyce-getty-ftr Getty Images

The proposed fight between Joe Joyce and Daniel Dubois may be put back yet again if fans are unable to to attend.

Queensberry promoter Frank Warren said there would be “no way” for the Dubois vs. Joyce fight to go ahead without spectators.

Some sporting occasions have had limited attendance since July, and Premier League football is planning to allow fans to attend in small numbers starting in October — although that also has been under review. The British government has banned meetings of over six people with some exceptions, and heavier localised lockdowns have been put in place in some cities and regions.

Speaking to IFL TV, Warren told the station that: "At the moment, we are not really sure what's happening.

"We're waiting to find out whether we'll be allowed people into the venue.

"I think it's looking highly unlikely we'll have any live audience in October."

Going on to consider the ramifications of tighter regulations, Warren said: "Legally, it's going to make a difference. The venues are going to have to comply with the regulations and rules to put on live events.

"Hopefully we'll get something on before Christmas, but there's no way at the moment we can be running that show in October if we haven't got some live audience."

The fight between Dubois and Joyce is expected to take place at the O2, and had been put back from April 11, first to July 11 and then to Oct. 24, but even that date is not certain given the vagaries of the coronavirus.

Dubois and Joyce both had warm-up fights to prepare for their scheduled bout. Dubois fought Ricardo Snijders, winning with another knockout to end their fight in August. Joyce faced Michael Wallish in July, needing just three rounds for victory.

Latest News