One of boxing's most popular young prospects returns to the sport's biggest stage, as lightweight Ryan Garcia takes on Romero Duno in the co-main event of the WBO light heavyweight title bout between Canelo Alvarez and Sergey Kovalev on Saturday, Nov. 2 from the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, live on DAZN.
Garcia (18-0, 15 KOs), who has over 3.7 million Instagram followers, was initially scheduled to fight Avery Sparrow in the co-main event of the Jaime Munguia-Patrick Allotey card in Carson, Calif on Sept. 14. But the fight didn't take place when Sparrow was arrested before the weigh-ins on an outstanding warrant because of a gun charge in Philadelphia. Golden Boy Promotions attempted to keep Garcia on the card and have him face Duno on 24 hours' notice.
When that didn't happen, there was a public back and forth with Golden Boy, but all issues appeared to be resolved several days later with Garcia signed a multiyear deal with the promotion company.
- Anthony Joshua vs. Oleksandr Usyk rematch likely to occur in February or March, says Eddie Hearn
- Jaime Munguia vs. Gabe Rosado clash set for Nov. 13
- DAZN's men's pound-for-pound boxing top 10 list: Oleksandr Usyk surges upward after heavyweight title win vs. Anthony Joshua
- What next for Anthony Joshua after heavyweight title loss to Oleksandr Usyk? Rematch? Other fights? Retirement?
Now, Garcia is finally set to face Duno, under a bigger spotlight in Las Vegas.
Can Garcia live up to the hype many boxing pundits have set forth for him? So who is Ryan Garcia? Let's take a look at the young star.
Who is Ryan Garcia? Facts about the young boxing star
- Garcia made his professional debut on June 9, 2016, with a first-round TKO victory over Edgar Meza.
- Garcia's brother Sean is also a pro boxer.
- Garcia is trained by Eddy Reynoso, who also serves as the co-trainer for Canelo Alvarez.
- Garcia faced fellow lightweight prospect Devin Haney in the amateurs; they each beat each other three times.
How old is Ryan Garcia?
Garcia is 21 years old. He was born Aug. 8, 1998, and is the son of Henry and Lisa Garcia. Ryan has three sisters, Demi, Sasha and Kayla, and a brother, Sean.
Ryan Garcia on Instagram, Twitter
Garcia is known for his social media presence. He has 3.7 million Instagram followers, which is more than Deontay Wilder, Tyson Fury and his own promoter at Golden Boy Promotions, Oscar De La Hoya. Garcia also has more than 214,800 followers on Twitter.
Is Ryan Garcia married?
Garcia is not married. Previously, he was in a relationship with Catherine Gamez, who is the mother to Garcia's daughter, Rylie, who was born March 21, 2019.
What is Ryan Garcia's net worth?
Garcia signed a multiyear deal in September to remain with Golden Boy. Although terms weren't disclosed, Garcia posted on social media that it was "one of the most lucrative boxing deals for a prospect in the history of the sport."
Outside of his boxing income, Garcia has been part of an Abercrombie & Fitch ad campaign.
Ryan Garcia's career record, stats
- Division : Lightweight
- Height : 5-10
- Reach : 70
- Stance : Orthodox
- Total Fights : 18
- Career record : 18-0-0
- Wins by knockout : 15
Where is Ryan Garcia from?
Garcia was born in Victorville, Calif., on Aug. 8, 1998. He currently resides in Los Angeles.