Vergil Ortiz Jr. (15-0, 15 KOs) will aim to keep his undefeated record intact when he faces Samuel Vargas on Friday, July 24, at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, Calif.
It's one of three fights on DAZN recently announced for a slate of shows over a five-week period:
- Ortiz Jr. vs. Vargas on July 24, which is Golden Boy Promotions' first event since the COVID-19 pandemic impacted sports in March.
- Cecilia Brækhus vs. Jessica McCaskill on Aug. 15 in Tulsa, Okla.
- Jorge Linares vs. Javier Fortuna on Aug. 28, at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino.
All three events will be broadcast live and exclusively on DAZN. There will be no fans in attendance.
- Vergil Ortiz Jr. says Errol Spence Jr. is mirror image of himself, aims for showdown
- Seniesa Estrada outlines path to be recognized as one of the best in women's boxing
- Who should Canelo Alvarez fight next? Bernard Hopkins is fond of one opponent, but doesn't like idea of GGG trilogy
- Vergil Ortiz Jr. says knockout streak isn't important and doesn't 'enjoy hurting people'
The Ortiz-Vargas fight was originally scheduled for March 28 at The Forum in Inglewood, Calif., but was shuttered a week prior due to the spread of coronavirus.
Vargas (31-5-2, 14 KOs) will aim to be the first to beat the hard-hitting 22-year-old, but he has had difficulty winning the big fight — he has suffered losses to Luis Collazo, Amir Khan, Danny Garcia and Errol Spence Jr. That being said, he did bounce back from a split-decision loss to Collazo last March with a unanimous decision victory over Silverio Ortiz in June.
Ortiz will face his most experienced opponent to date as he looks to remain perfect with all of his wins coming by way of knockout.
“I’m very thankful and excited to be headlining the first Golden Boy event after quarantine,” Ortiz said. “I’m happy that it’s still with the same opponent, so basically we’re picking up where we left off. It’s going to be a tough fight, and it’ll be a great way to kick off the year for me.”
Here’s a complete guide to the Ortiz vs. Vargas card.
Vergil Ortiz Jr. vs. Samuel Vargas fight date, start time
- Date: Friday, July 24
- Time: 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT
- Main event: 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT (approximate)
The Ortiz-Vargas card will begin at 8 p.m. ET, with Ortiz and Vargas expected to make their ring walks about 10 p.m. ET, although the time depends on the length of the earlier fights.
It’s Fight Night! 🥊— DAZN USA (@DAZN_USA) July 24, 2020
Action starts 8pm ET / 5 pm PT. ⏰ pic.twitter.com/Xu3CtjSDHz
Ortiz Jr. vs. Vargas TV, live stream: How to watch on DAZN
- Live stream: DAZN (global)
The Ortiz vs. Vargas fight isn't available via traditional pay-per-view or a linear TV channel. Fans around the world instead can sign up to watch the fight online with DAZN, the global sports live-streaming service.
DAZN is live and available to users in the following markets: United States, Canada, Brazil, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain and Japan. In addition to those nine countries, select beta testers worldwide are able to watch the fight ahead of the upcoming global roll-out the service.
DAZN can be streamed on a variety of platforms, including Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Google Chromecast, iOS, Android, Xbox One, Playstation 4 and Playstation 3, as well as Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari browsers via DAZN.com.
Ortiz Jr. vs. Vargas price: How much does the fight cost?
New users can sign up for a DAZN subscription to watch the Ortiz vs. Vargas fight. A subscription to DAZN includes access to all live programming and on-demand content, including original shows, behind-the-scenes features and archived fights.
Pricing options vary globally. For example, in the U.S., a monthly subscription is $19.99, and an annual subscription is $99.99. In Canada, the monthly option is $20 CAD, and the annual plan is $150 CAD. A one-month free-trial is also available in Canada.
For current subscribers, the fight is already included as part of your plan.
Where is the Ortiz Jr. vs. Vargas fight?
The Ortiz vs. Vargas fight takes place at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, Calif. This will be the fifth time Ortiz has fought at the venue – but it will be the first time he does so without fans in attendance, which is happening because of the coronavirus.
Ortiz Jr. vs. Vargas odds
According to BetMGM, Ortiz is listed as a -10000 favorite, meaning that you would need to bet $10,000 to win $100. Meanwhile, Masvidal is the underdog at +1600, meaning a $100 bet would net you $1,600.
Vergil Ortiz Jr. record and bio
- Nationality: American
- Born: March 25, 1998
- Height: 5-10
- Reach: 70 inches
- Total fights: 15
- Record: 15-0 with 15 knockouts
Samuel Vargas record and bio
Nationality: Columbian & Canadian
Born: April 12, 1989
Reach: 72 inches
Total fights: 38
Record: 31-5-2 with 14 knockouts
Vergil Ortiz Jr. vs. Samuel Vargas fight card and weigh-in results
- Vergil Ortiz Jr. (147 pounds) vs. Samuel Vargas (146.6 pounds)
- Shane Mosley Jr. (159.4) vs. Jeremy Ramos (160)
- Seniesa Estrada (107.8) vs. Miranda Adkins (106.8)
- Hector Valdez (121.6) vs. Josue Morales (120.6)
- Evan Sanchez (147) vs. Issouf Kinda (144.6)